Saturday, 18 April 2015

Task 6a: Informal Trial Tool

Interview Feedback

After attending an interview for a Primary School placement on Friday, I was surprised to find this affecting the ideas and thoughts towards my inquiry plan.  Although I was not successful- as expected as I require a degree and only hold the "equivalent" - the most interesting part of this was the interaction session.

During this session I was required to plan an interactive session with a small group of Year 2 children using a book.  As I have no direct classroom experience and all my school experience has only ever been within the PE environment in primary education, this was not necessarily a familiar situation for me to take on.  What I did find however, was that my varied teaching experience from not only public school sessions but also private dance school classes, gave me a good grounding for the tools needed as a teacher.

After my session, it was revealed that the panel observing felt that my teaching potential was very high.  This did surprise me as I am not used to being put in a classroom situation, but the skills I have obtained from my Performing Arts teaching background seem to have provided me with some great skills. 

Previously I was looking into the 'transferable skills' that can be used from performing arts to education.  However, my interview experience has engaged me into wanting to find out whether teachers from a performing arts background can transfer their skills within education.  This has taken my viewpoint to a more personal level, and I think that this will benefit not only myself but others who would like to transition into the education sector.

Informal Trial

My interview has actually already provided me with a different type of tool that has developed my inquiry.  I decided to use a survey as my first informal trial, taking inspiration from Sinead McMenemy's  survey which conveys a similar field to my proposed inquiry.

I would appreciate anyone's participation of my survey if you are from a performing arts teaching background...



1 comment:

  1. Thanks Lisa - yes your have had a good deal of experience - there should be some literature to help with the broader subject area of 'transferable' skills for teaching. Sounds like a useful panel experience to help with deciding about the type of educational pathway that could provide the focus for your inquiry.

    ReplyDelete