Looking into the world of networking has made me realise the amount of networking which already exists within my professional practice. The level in which I currently network however, is not as high as when I was in the performing world. I think this is certainly a very important part of performing which I have previously touched on. I can image that as I progress further into this course, it may become beneficial for my learning to expand my professional networks. This will also help me in the future to connect with like-minded individuals who may have more insight into the profession in which I would like to progress into.
• Are your ideas, position or concerns shared by others within and/or beyond your professional area of work?
The majority of my friends are within a similar field to myself and as they get older, like myself, they are starting to look into alternative career choices. This is especially true when it comes to performing which unfortunately can be seen as a short-lived career. As a community of mutual friends, we have always supported each other and provided forms of networking when it is required or suitable for the individual. This is mirrored from the views of Robert Axelrod as the 'tit for tat' scenario with the theory of cooperation.
• Does sharing ideas and communicating with others shift your thinking, planning or practice?
I would say that in general my thinking is not particularly focused and I change decisions frequently. Although this can have negative effects, this allows me to explore options and decide the most practical and realistic outcome that is appropriate for myself. Therefore, sharing ideas and maintaining regular communication with others helps me to expand my already existing knowledge to very often have an effect on my thinking, planning and practice. This is certainly a valuable learning process for myself to progress in the future. This brings along the idea of social constructionism.
• Does critical reflection help you decide what really matters and the actions to take?
As someone who tends to not make spontaneous decisions, the use of reflection has become an important part of my learning. Reflection has enabled me to look at what works, and what doesn't. This in turn gives me ideas of how to rectify a situation which is not having a positive effect.
My journal has been a way of helping me decide what matters and what actions to take within future sessions. This is not always apparent but is certainly a useful tool to help me reflect.
• To what extent do concepts and theories assist you in thinking about your professional networking in different ways?
The theories that I looked in to are all present within my thinking. Some of these have a more prominent effect on my networking whilst others seem to be dependent on the situation. Now that I can identify these theories and how they can be used within networking I can apply them in different ways in order to achieve the outcomes that these theories predict.
• Are you left thinking differently prior to this part of the module?
My thinking has not drastically changed from this part of the module but it has highlighted what I was already aware of in terms of networking. I think this awareness is important and without this I wouldn't have the same understanding as I do now.
Part of this learning has emerged from the engagement of the whole experience of understanding the idea of networking. I am 'turning experience into learning'(Boud et al,1995).
No comments:
Post a Comment