Tuesday, 9 December 2014

Name Search...

Whilst thinking about my critical reflection and looking back on what I have learnt within the module, I considered the use of professional profiles online and how that can interfere with the ethics of the career I would like to pursue.
 
Currently I am teaching and have been for several years now but it isn't until now that I have considered the ethical issues that may affect me in the future.  This is an important time to really think about what obstacles could affect me and my future practice.
 
I decided to search my name in Google and see what results it would have.  The one advantage I have is the rarity of my name.   

My name search

Majority of the searches that came up were for a designer of the same name.  Along with this came my twitter profile and my linked in profile and a professional picture.  The only one which would unsettle me is my twitter account as I only use this on a social level and it could be seen as unprofessional if you were to look back at past posts.  What I decided was best to do was to change my privacy settings so that my tweets would no longer be available to view.
 
Whilst this still means that my account pops up through a search, it now ensures that only my accepted followers on my account are able to see my tweets and they are no longer visible through a search. 

1 comment: