Tuesday, 5 May 2015

Module 2: Critical Reflection on Professional Practitioner Inquiry

Critical Reflection on Professional Practitioner Inquiry


Looking back on the foundation of this course with Module One, I looked at the exploration of communication technologies, utilised the reflection on my professional practice and identified professional networks.  These are still ongoing themes within Module Two to develop my professional practitioner inquiry.

Developing Lines of Professional Inquiry

To find a line of inquiry  I reflected back to Module one and looked at the questions I previously asked, to see which ones stood out and what I could relate to for the development of my career (Appendix 1).  By extracting from a range of knowledge, I was able to pinpoint an area in which I could develop further to find out more and to benefit my professional practice.  My area of interest has remained linked to teaching within primary education and private performing arts schools as this is where my current practice resides. 

The use of literature has helped me to link performing arts and mainstream education (Appendix 2) to find out what is already known about transferable skills between these two sectors (Appendix 3).  Within this area of questioning, it led me to look into interdisciplinary learning as a supporting area to my inquiry question (Appendix 4).  After identifying other peers within the course who were looking into similar lines for their inquiries, I decided to join a special interest group (SIG) relating to performing arts in education (Appendix 5).  This group has been a great way to share ideas and thoughts, and to develop my lines for my professional inquiry (Appendix 6).   

Professional Ethics

I considered the ethics that surround my current professional practice, which was an important task required to explore my chosen area for my professional inquiry (Appendix 7).  I also looked at the codes of conduct relating to my current practice to identify what may need to considered in terms of carrying out research to support my inquiry (Appendix 8).     

Once I had a better understanding of what I would need to be looking at for the professional ethics of my inquiry, I created a draft of my Ethics Form and Employer Support Form ready for my inquiry plan.  These forms, together with the reflection of the ethical framework for my area of inquiry, have enabled me to consider and understand the implications of ethics within my professional practice (Appendix 9).   

Tools of Professional Inquiry

I began by critiquing the tools available for my inquiry, investigating the benefits, limits and ethical considerations of each to determine which tools would develop the research for my inquiry (Appendix 10).  This concluded my decision to use interviews, observations and surveys to collect data which could be used to inform my inquiry topic.  I created a pilot trial of a survey which I relayed on my blog, within my SIG and to my professional community (Appendix 11).  This not only gave me an insight into the responses but also allowed me to see what needed to be improved as well as structural layout discussed within my SIG (See comments: Appendix 12). 

Conclusion

The three themes discussed here have enhanced my knowledge within my professional practice and developed a set of questions which will benefit my understanding of the performing arts and whether they can be linked within education.


1 comment: